If you need some advice on the best practices to use for gardening with containers or if you want to simply want to add some color to you patio this summer, then you’ve come to the right place.
Below are some expert advice to help you ace your container gardening:
- Start by purchasing a high-quality growing medium for your containers. It is best to take keen consideration to your medium and avoid using garden soil.
- It is important that your containers have a drainage hole or holes in the bottom for excess water to run out
- Choose containers that are the right size to be in scale with the surrounding landscape.
- Depending on what plants you plan to grow, you’ll need a foot or so of a growing medium above the filler material.
- Apply a slow-release fertilizer when you plant the containers for the summer season. Avoid overfertilizing.
- On occasion, you can reuse some of the previous year’s growing medium by replacing about half of the old medium with fresh medium.
Read the full article here: https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/ct-home-0426-garden-qa-20180423-story.html